Friday, January 25, 2008
The moment i could log on to the internet,i almost knelt down and say a million-words prayer of thanks!Its now 6:52pm, and the sky is damn dark, like 1am.Ya, the sky gets dark at 4+.Day is short here.Upon arrival,i started to freak out.My accommodation wasnt settled,i only had 1 person i could contact - the girl i found on the internet who is renting out a room.I called her,and she told me that we would meet in the afternoon at 12:30pm!And what time was it at that time?8am!!!What to do with the time in between?I walked walked walked around the airport with my luggage,trying to make everything i see seem interesting to me so that i wouldnt feel that boredand then just very sloooooooooowly find my way to meet the girl.Before meeting her, i cleverly went to get myself a new number so that she could contact me.So here it is: (call) 00447513973688(sms) +447513973688U may call me anytime i dont mind at all,U may also sms me anytime i will be more than happy.But then i may or may not reply ur sms cos its darn expensive ok!Every single penny (cent) here is times SEVEN ringgit!!!Wow the things here are really expensive,especially food, drinks and transportation!!!Clothes and some tiny stuff like biscuits or shampoo,u still can get them at quite a reasonable price,and sometimes even cheaper than what u can get back in Msia/Sg!!Settling down in my new room was okay.I am now sharing a house with 3 other guys and 1 girl.I have my own room of course, and i sleep on a double bed.I can save nearly half by staying there than if i stay in hostel.I'd rather use the money for holidays or shopping,dont u agree?Well, but there are of course, areas of inconveniences.Like for example no internet.Also, my housemates are quite lazy n not as clean.The kitchen is always filled with unwashed dishes (like in PGP!!)..Since there's no internet, i sleep very early nowadays.Like say 9pm - 10pm, i'd be asleep.then i will wake at around 6am to 7am.Like this morning, i woke at 6am.What to do so early in the morning?I cleaned the whole kitchen!!!I think if my housemates know about that they will worship me!Er, i think my post is quite disorganized.Okay nevermind.thats a result of over-excitedly trying to blurt everything out.Anyway, my first day was spent settling down.I felt so so lonely and a little afraid at that time.U will understand that if u're in a foreign place with no internet at all.Second day (Wed), i told myself i cannot tahan already.I went to look for my other exchange mates from NUS who would arrive at that day,I had to find my way to their hall and that was a very long walk.Then we walked to buy stuff to cook our dinner.We walked very very very far!!!(cos we wanted to save money on transport)After spending 5.50 pounds on transport the first day,i told myself from then on its walking all the way!!So we walked.Till my legs almost snapped.i think i walked almost 40km!!!*faints*But because of them, i felt less lonely.At least someone talks like me!!!There are lots of blacks in manchester (75% of the population i heard),especially in my area!*shivers*but actually as long as i be careful and ignore them,should be fine.Yes some of them do tease girls,just ignore and pretend i didnt hear nor understand should be the way to handle it.It rains quite unpredictably here also.Like yesterday, the sky looked gloomy.It didnt rain at all during the day.Today, the sky looked exactly the same.It rained.So must always bring umbrella,no matter how the sky looks.Today i went shopping with the rest of my exchange mates..again we walked and walked.and walked.so so so much walking that i think my back and legs do not belong to me anymore.The weather was rather fine yesterday (around 10 degrees)Today was very cold (around 2 degrees)and the wind kept blowing!!!sooooooooo cold *grrrrrrrrrrrrr*Orientation is tomorrow.Hopefully they will tell us where the wireless zone is,so that i dont have to walk this far to use the internet.from my place to uni is 15 to 20 minutes walk.better than walking here.AHHHHH~~~~~I never realized i relied so much on the internet!!!Life without it is so lonely =(The only thing i could do was to pray.The only person that came with me to Manchester was God.I'm not all that close with my exchange mates,and do not know it i will be,but then they are nice people.At least i have company.Another thing i learnt,when the people here tell u how long a walk from one place to another will take,must times TWO!!my housemate told me walking from my place to here takes 15 minutes,i think i run also will take more than that!!the others said walking from uni to here takes 20 minutes,we took 40 minutes!!actually this place is my friend's hall,and there is a 24 hour computer cluster where students of manchester uni can use the internet for free.i was given a room here as well,but i rejected it because it is quite expensive,and meals are catered.Means whether i eat or not, i have to pay.And then most importantly, its much further from town and from campus.oh my, and Manchester University is so huge!!!It takes up the WHOLE LONG STRETCH of street!!And it is like a town by itself, where there are banks and other shops along the way.I heard it has the largest university campus in the UK!oh wow.means more walking.Pictures?So sorry, i'm not using my laptop, so i cant upload them.Maybe someday soon i will.A long post i have above huh?!Its now 7:37pm, and i have to walk back later.my legs are aching like mad.I think i walked another 30km today!!I'll be praying hard for safety~I was told its safe, but then still, im a bit scared of blacks and the dark.*opppppssss* dont sue me!Keep blogged!