<body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/platform.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar/12862318?origin\x3dhttp://pretty-la.blogspot.com', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script> <iframe src="http://www.blogger.com/navbar.g?targetBlogID=3054107564476057249&blogName=url.blogspot.com&publishMode=PUBLISH_MODE_BLOGSPOT&navbarType=BLACK&layoutType=CLASSIC&homepageUrl=http%3A%2F%2Furl.blogspot.com%2F&searchRoot=http%3A%2F%2Furl.blogspot.com%2Fsearch" height="30px" width="100%" marginwidth="0" marginheight="0" scrolling="no" id="navbar-iframe" frameborder="0"></iframe> <div id="space-for-ie"></div>
Sunday, September 24, 2006

It's a stressed day for me. I feel so weird. I'm supposed to be on holiday, but there're just so many so many group assignments, discussions, homework, readings, projects, individual work n all to be done.. I'm so stressed! Everyone else's back in Msia!! but me.
.
Anyway, the reason for this post is not to complain, but to express my regret, and also my relief. I was told that one of the residents in IMH whom i've spoken to for the first time last week, passed away last night. I was S.H.O.C.K.E.D to the max! Since he only knew how to speak cantonese, I was so far the only one from the volunteer team to approach him n get to know more of him. He doesnt join in any of our activities because of the language barrier. He was really a very nice guy to chat with, so i found out last week during our loooong chat. I even got a sore throat out of it. I was looking forward to today, as he promised me he'll join in our activities. Since i was 1 of the MCs for today's game session, I was in-charge of the chinese part, and I even planned to speak a bit of cantonese so that he'll feel warmer joining in our games as well. He was the first one I looked out for when I stepped into the ward. But then I was told the next moment by one of the seniors, that he passed away dued to heart failure last night. What a shock to me! I was like stunned n shocked, n stood there with my mouth open for who knows how long! I feel regretful as I've only spoken to him once, and I feel relieved because I've spoken to him at least once. Although that only once chat, I could feel how lonely he was, and how much he yearned for someone that can speak his language to chat with him. I guess that's what made me feel so attached to him. I am so sad!!
.
One of the seniors told me, this is all part of life. The important thing is to grab the opportunity now! N i guess that was what got me going the whole 2 hours session. I tried my best to speak to those that were quietly sitting at corners, not joining in our games. I tried to get them involved as well. N i found another old man (lets call him C), older than the one that passed away. C was introduced to me by that man that passed away, last week that was. N I didnt speak much to him last week because i didnt have much time to interact with both of them. I had such a strong urge to chat with him today, and so I did. I asked him if he sings, and he sang me this tiny tune which ppl sing during traditional wedding ceremonies last time. I cried as he was singing. I know I'm too emotional, but then I couldnt control my tears. C is, I guess, more or less a christian. I was wearing a chain with a cross pendant last week, and he asked me if i'm a christian. Obvious answer was yes. And he started to ask me if i pray n all.. N I asked him to pray instead. Today, I asked him if he did pray, and he told me he prays only before meals. I told him that he can pray anytime he likes, as he doesnt speak much to anyone else throughout the week, not even to the volunteers on saturday, I told him that if he has anything at all to say, God is listening to him. I guess he couldnt really take it at first, but before I left, I reminded him to pray always once more, and he prayed in front of me immediately! Again I felt like crying. I waited for his prayer to end before I said bye again to him, reassuring him that God loves him. He told me God loves me as well. I think I'm tied dead to IMH. I wish i can visit them every week and at least be a part of their lives to fill a small part of their loneliness.
.
I forgot to ask where n when the funeral service will be held, n I've asked ppl to find out. I do hope the news comes to me in time for me to drop by and pay my last visit to this old man.

12:44 am 5 comments